Complacency is Fear's best friend. They both love to keep you stuck in the same place. Fear will scare you with unknowns, Complacency will always keep you feeling like things aren't so bad. Yet, you are always wondering why aren't you doing more with your life.
Let's take a common example like hating your job and hear what Fear and Complacency have to say about it.
Fear : "Sure you hate your job, but at least you have one, right? You know the market is terrible right now and jobs are not paying like they used to."
Complacency: "This job is so close to your house. Why would you want to drive more to a new job. Don't you want to get home sooner so you can relax?"
Everyday these kind of thoughts overflow your subconcious. A battle is being fought and you're not even aware of it. All just to see if you make a decision or decide to stay the same. This happens every time we make a decision. It happens from the most mundane to the real-life changing ones.
Taking Control Back
I've been at these crossroads so many times. If you could see inside my mind, it would be like a scene from Mad Max. All my thoughts fighting for this one tank of water that represents a decision. Luckly , we can learn to overcome these roadblocks by practicing to take action. My favorite approach is to take small steps and building up a habit of taking action regardless of the fear or comfort we feel.
Here is one of the methods I use to start taking action and build momentum. Use this to begin doing anything you want to do and keep adding to it. Remember consistency always beats motivation.
- First, write down a list of 2 or 3 things that you want you have been putting off. This can be anything from cleaning a room to writing a blog article. All the things on your list should be able to be accomplished in one day (4-8 hours).
Keep the list short or you will get overwhelmed and things won't get done.
- Second, break down the list by assigning how long you will take to to complete each one. Remember, all the items on the list have to be done in 8 hours or less.
- Third, schedule a date and the block of time to complete these tasks. This is a negotiation approach. The time you schedule cannot be changed because your team is on tv or friends invited you over to their house. Set a time on the calendar and stick to it like your life depended on it.
- Fourth, on the schedule date and time. you will work on the items on your list . No excuses, they take priority over anything else going on. Work on your items until you complete them.
- Fifth, Feel good about yourself for taking action and completing things you have been putting off. Whenever we have these kind of small wins endorphines are release in our body that make us feel good about ourselves. There is no greater feeling of having accomplished something.
Tips to make sure you follow through:
- Ask a friend or family member to hold you accountable.
- Give yourself a deadline to accomplish these items within the next 7 days.
- Stop yourself from doing other things until the items in your list are complete.
Sometimes the things we put off things take only take a few minutes to a couple of hours to complete. Yet, we always put them off until later and they never get done. The goal here is to build up you habit of being an action taker and doing things despite how you feel.
- For example, if your goal is to find a new job, then set some time aside to work on your resume. Work on the resume for 2 to 4 hours. Then the following week time on a weekend to research jobs and start sending your resume.
How to Motivate Yourself
- What are some of the worst things that can happen if you don't these make changes in your life right now?
- How are you going to feel on your deathbed if you don't accomplish these goals?
- Ask yourself what would your favorite business and celebrity do, if they want to reach their goal. Would they be lazy or go after it.
Many times if we can't accomplish everything at one time it's not worth starting. We become overwhelmed with all the work feel we have in front of us before we even start. When we do this, we let fear and complacency win. Don't let that happen you. Start taking action today.